"When some of my friends have asked me anxiously about their boys, whether they should let them hunt, I have answered, yes - remembering that it was one of the best parts of my education - make them hunters."

Henry David Thoreau, 1854


“A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.” - Robert Boatman


Monday, June 23, 2008

Pro Second Amendment Committee Essay Contest Winner

Bret C.
2nd Grade
Taupe Elementary


I think that everyone should learn how to use and respect guns when they are kids and then I don’t think that the United States would have as many problems with grown ups doing bad things with guns. I also think that it is important that everyone be allowed to own there own guns to protect there families and homes from bad guys. When I read the second amendment with my mom and looked up what militia means I decided that it means more than just the policemen and military. I think that it means all people who are citizens of the United States and like the second amendment says we need to be able to protect our country and we couldn’t with just bows and arrows, spears and knives. So I think that we will always need guns to protect our country from the bad guys.

I don’t think that guns kill people I think bad people kill people with guns. If the government like the president took away everyone’s guns I don’t think that we would be free anymore because then only the police and military would have guns and they would be the only ones who could protect us and there aren’t enough of them to protect everyone all the time. I think even if the president took away all the guns the bad guys would hide there’s and then the good guys would have nothing to protect themselves and there families with. Plus if we give everything to the president then we would lose all of our freedom.

I got my first rifle this year for Christmas and I know that it is a big responsibility because my mom and dad have taught me how to take care of it and that it is important to always be safe with it. I would be very sad if someone ever tried to take my rifle away because I want to become the best shooter and sniper that I can so that when I’m big enough I can hunt with my dad and help feed my family. When I grow up I want to be a SWAT officer. I know that I need to practice shooting a lot with my gun now so that I can help protect people who don’t have guns later. When I grow up I also want to be able to keep my family safe against burglars like my dad keeps us safe now. Those are the ways that I think the second amendment affects me.

No comments: