"When some of my friends have asked me anxiously about their boys, whether they should let them hunt, I have answered, yes - remembering that it was one of the best parts of my education - make them hunters."

Henry David Thoreau, 1854


“A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.” - Robert Boatman


Tuesday, August 4, 2009

This from Mike Bennet

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Thune-Vitter Amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill. I appreciate hearing from you.



My philosophy on guns is based on my respect for the Second Amendment to our United States Constitution, which ensures the right to keep and bear arms. I also believe that in order to prevent gun-related crime, we need a healthy respect for firearms and vigorous enforcement of our existing federal, state, and local gun laws.

The Thune-Vitter Amendment to the Defense Authorization Fund (S.AMDT.1618 to S.1390) would have allowed citizens who have concealed carry permits from the state in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another state that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the state. While I voted in support of this amendment, S.AMDT.1618 was subjected to a supermajority requirement. It needed 60 votes but it failed 58-39.

My vote in favor of the Thune Amendment was consistent with existing Colorado law. In our state, law-abiding gun owners have the right to apply for and receive a concealed carry permit. Colorado already recognizes the concealed carry permits from a majority of states, and generally grants reciprocity to states that recognize the permits of Colorado gun owners. Any concealed carry permit holder from another state must follow our criminal statutes, and that would have remained the law if the Thune amendment had passed.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.


Sincerely,

Michael Bennet
United States Senator