"When some of my friends have asked me anxiously about their boys, whether they should let them hunt, I have answered, yes - remembering that it was one of the best parts of my education - make them hunters."

Henry David Thoreau, 1854


“A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.” - Robert Boatman


Monday, November 24, 2008

IF you buy a gun...car...truck...skis...ATV...

I am convinced that the principles that Linn points out in he and Ari's article today in the FREE PRESS (excerpt below) apply to nearly everything we use in our lives....(Get some instructions on how to use your spa). Yet firearms training for some gun owners seems to be the last consideration when it should be the first!!

The media have reported a spike in the sale of firearms. The number of people signing up for classes to qualify for concealed carry also has increased. Firearms instructors have seen more interest since 9/11. Local instructors also have seen the fraction of women in class rise from a quarter to half.

Your elder author Linn serves as an instructor for the National Rifle Association’s Basic Pistol and Personal Protection classes. In a recent class, a student asked what the difference is between NRA classes and ones lasting only three or four hours. Linn offered to take up the question at the end of class. We’ll start to answer it here.

Before carrying a gun for defensive purposes, one must answer a crucial question: Am I prepared the take the life of another human being to save my own life or the life of a family member? Do my religious and philosophical beliefs allow me to potentially take a life in self defense? Am I prepared to accept or tolerate the judgment of my family, friends and neighbors if I must defend myself with lethal force?


Click anywhere in the article above to be transported to the entire article at the FREE PRESS.

No comments: